Monday, March 10, 2014

Gaming Week! Rash Candyboot! (Plus Update)

Hey guys, so if you read the title I'm going to be talking about Rash Candyboot! Oh! Wait that's a typo! I'm reviewing Brash Candicoot! Wait! Wrong again... Crash Bandi Namco! Grr..... You know what! I'll just google the game... Crash Bandicoot! Sorry, I can't even read my own handwriting here.
Best Handwriting
Anyway, we're reviewing Crash Bandicoot (well, at least as much as I played) and a Gaming Week update! So, I'm going to tell you guys the update now and then we'll move on to Rash Candyboot! Which is now what I'm referring to him as. Anyway, I'm creating a separate week for Magic now! Gaming Week is now going to be all games, while Magic Week is going to be all about Magic the Gathering! So anyway, let's move on to Rash Candyboot!
Before I start, I might as well give you a little idea of how Rash Candyboot all started. Back in the days of the Sega Genesis and the SNES, the 2 most popular characters around were Nintendo's Mario and Sega's Sonic. Many tried to compete such as Jazz Jackrabbit, Bubsy Bobcat, and much more. But none could really match the 2 gaming giants. That is, until the company Naughty Dog tried. Back in those days, there was no such thing as 3D platforming games. So the people of Naughty Dog decided to aim for a full 3D game on the soon to be created, Sony Playstation. Although not the first 3D game out in the market as they lost the race against Super Mario 64. Naughty Dog's Rash Candyboot was amazing for the Playstation! And it's still great today!

So, I might as well admit it now. I haven't played the full game yet, but I have played the first world and from what I've heard that world has most of the main game mechanics you'll see. So I'm going to go over the story, Rash's move set, the power ups (or power up), and the game mechanics. So let's get started!

So the main story of Crash Bandicoot is pretty cool. Dr. Neo Cortex or Dr. Cortex is creating a mutated animal army to take over the world. And guess who's going to be in charge of this army? Rash Candyboot! Fortunetly for Rash, the mutating machine fails when trying to mutate him and Rash runs away. But what he doesn't realize in time is that he forgot to take his girlfriend with him. So now Rash's job is to save the Earth as well as rescue his girlfriend from the clutches of Dr. Cortex.  Rash's move set is very small as for most platforming games. He can jump on enemies either stunning or killing them. Then he can spin attack to destroy things that can't be jumped on. But that's really it. So let's move on to power ups! Before I mention power ups though, I want to mention crates first. Crates are Rash's mystery box. They can hold wumpa fruit which collecting 100 of gives you a 1 up, they can hold 1 ups themselves as well which are really easy to get. They can contain pictures of your girlfriend which getting 3 of in a level take you to a bonus level. Then special crates can give you checkpoints, TNT that counts to 3 before blowing up, metal crates which are unbreakable, and ! blocks which spawn more crates. Getting all the crates in a level that are breakable give Crash gams which are required to get 100% completion. Crates can also contain Aku Aku who gives you an extra hit before dying. you can collect 2 Aku Aku's at a time. When Rash gets a 3rd one though, he turns into an unstoppable force that destroys everything in it's path. And that's really it for power ups, so let's move on to game mechanics! This game closely resembles Mario for the first to game mechanics.  The main events involve you getting from point A to point B in 3D levels and 3D levels with a 2D design. This is the main goal in platformers. But Naughty Dog decided to make this game differentiate from other platfomers with wild hog rides and boulder rushes. Wild hog rides are when Rash gets on a hog and has to ride to the end without bumping into anything. If he does, he automatically dies. After that there's the boulder rushes where Rash has to run for his life to escape being squashed by a huge boulder. I find all there game mechanics very fun and challenging at the same time. Anyway, I've only played for so long but I still give this game a 8/10, honestly I wish they made it a tiny bit easier but that's my only complaint.

Anyway guys, that's all for today and I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment